Pinocchio | Year 9 – VCE
By Carlo Goldoni
Adaptation by Christian Bagin (Director), Rosa Campagnaro (Assistant Director) and Jasper Foley (Performer)
Designed by Eloise Kent (Set & Costume), Newmi Newman (Masks & Puppet) and Felix Watson (Music), Helene Frøisland (Costume Assistant).
Also performed by: Liam O’Kane
A travelling storyteller has arrived and has a tale he wants to share…
Before you know it, he is weaving together an epic adventure of danger, villainy and excitement, told through multiple characters, mask, puppetry and song (and plenty of hilarious audience interaction!).
Welcome to the fantastical – and dark – world of Pinocchio…
For students from Years 9 to 12, this is an engaging, innovative reimagining of Collodi’s cautionary tale about the little wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy. Don’t miss this magical and unique adaptation that draws on the traditions of the travelling storytellers of a bygone era and – of course – Commedia dell’Arte.
Particularly relevant to VCE Drama Units 1 and 4, and VCE Theatre Studies Unit 2, students can analyse: conventions, dramatic elements, expressive and performance skills, performance styles, playmaking techniques and production areas.
Senior students of Italian, Art, English, and History will also benefit from studying elements such as:
- Applied LOTE skills;
- Verbal and non-verbal storytelling techniques;
- Applied visual art design of costume and set; and
- The cultural and historical contexts of the story – and reflecting on how Collodi’s allegory of 19th Century corruption and iniquity might still be relevant today…
- In English, with some Italian.
- Also suitable for cultural day celebrations and carnevale.
“A fine introduction to Commedia dell’Arte.”
– The Age
“Easily one of the best Commedia dell’Arte productions I’ve seen…our students and staff were entranced!”
– Our Lady of The Sacred Heart College