Easily one of the best Commedia dell’Arte productions I’ve seen… our students and staff were entranced!
ORIGINAL STORY Carlo Collodi
ADAPTATION Christian Bagin, Rosa Campagnaro & Jasper Foley
DIRECTION Christian Bagin
ASSISTANT DIRECTION Rosa Campagnaro
DESIGN (set & costume) Eloise Kent
MASKS & PUPPET Newmi Newman
MUSIC Felix Watson
COSTUME ASSISTANT Helene Frøisland
WITH Jasper Foley as Pinocchio
Welcome to the fantastical world of Carlo Collodi’s Pinocchio!
A rare opportunity for students to experience two of Italy’s greatest exports: Commedia dell’Arte and Pinocchio! Perfect for Italian, Drama and Theatre Studies students, with ample opportunity for more cross-curricular learning.
A travelling storyteller has arrived with a magical tale to share…
Pinocchio is an epic adventure of danger, villainy and excitement! Multiple characters weave an exciting tapestry of story-telling through mask, puppetry, song… and plenty of hilarious audience interaction! Pinocchio is a delightful reimagining of Collodi’s cautionary tale about the little wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy – and all the trouble he gets into along the way! Don’t miss this magical and unique adaptation that draws on the traditions of the travelling storytellers of a bygone era and, of course, Commedia dell’Arte.
What to expect:
- 50 minute show + optional 10-15 minute Q&A
- Comprehensive teachers’ resources (activities, handouts and preparatory material)
- A show in English, with some Italian.
- Suitable for Primary and Secondary students of Drama and Italian, and for cultural day celebrations or carnevale.
- Curriculum links to Dance, Music, History, English and Art.
- Curriculum links to F-10 Capabilities: Critical & Creative Thinking, Ethical, Intercultural, and Personal & Social.
- Adaptable for Prep all the way to VCE – or even the whole school!
Primary – Year 8 Students:
- Performed in English, with some Italian.
- Suitable for Primary and Early Secondary students of Drama, Italian, Art, English, History, and for cultural day celebrations and carnevale.
- Pinocchio will be adapted specifically for the age group booked; from Prep all the way to Year 8 – or even the whole school.
Pinocchio was selected for the 2019 VCE Drama Playlist and is particularly relevant to VCE Drama Units 3 and 4, and VCE Theatre Studies Unit 2. Students will be able to analyse:
- Dramatic elements
- Expressive and performance skills
- Performance styles
- Playmaking techniques
- Production areas
Senior students of Italian, English, Music, Dance, Visual Art and History will also benefit from studying Pinocchio, with curriculum-linked activities such as:
- Compose a creative response to the work in Italian;
- Write a review in English;
- Analyse the original musical score;
- Analyse the stylised dance-like movement;
- Evaluate the theatre design and its visual art influences; and
- Interogate the cultural and historical contexts of the story – and reflect on how Collodi’s allegory of 19th Century corruption and iniquity might still be relevant today…
Price: $1,100.00 (inc GST) for 100 students or less
Extra students: $8.50 (inc GST)
For large cohorts or multiple shows, please contact Make A Scene for a bespoke quote.