Online Commedia dell’Arte Teachers’ Resource
Homemade Comedy is a new series of online lesson plans delving into the world of comedy, slapstick, mime, sitcom, funny language, Commedia dell’Arte… and farts.
The lesson plans are designed as a course to be taught in sequence, however picking and choosing lessons or exercises relevant to the curriculum/students’ needs will also work perfectly! This resource may be used as an introduction to comedy, slapstick or Commedia dell’Arte.
For Year 10, Senior Drama & Theatre Studies Students:
Homemade Comedy includes activities designed to extend senior students’ understanding of the actor’s process for developing characters and telling stories.
For Primary to Year 9 Students:
This resource is also suitable and/or easily adaptable for these levels. Make A Scene suggests reviewing all materials – including written excerpts and videos – and using at your school’s discretion.
How’s It Done?
Students will be guided through Homemade Comedy with a collection of videos featuring:
- Make A Scene’s talented company members Mason Gasowski and Freya Pragt, showcasing lazzi and comprehensive demonstrations of the actor’s process.
- Footage from current and past Make A Scene shows The Servant of Two Masters, Venice In Love, and Pinocchio.
- Wider examples from both contemporary and classic TV comedies and sitcoms.
What to Expect:
- PLAY, PLAY, PLAY! The starting point for comedy to play, develop and evolve!
- LAZZI, slapstick, physical comedy techniques and conventions!
- Guided video tutorials and demonstrations of characters and lazzi.
- Introduction to the mask and some Commedia dell’Arte characters.
- The importance of observation!
- Concepts of audience interaction.
- Activities, exercises and improvisations to identify and explore comedy techniques.
- Fun provocations and starters for further character exploration.
Please note: while the lessons are based on Commedia concepts and practice, this is not a comprehensive course in the study of Commedia with all its conventions and nuanced stock characters. Rather, it is to be used as a guide to understanding and embodying the spirit of comedy and Commedia by inviting students to be physical, playful and present.
Free Sample Resource:
Download a free sample of our Homemade Comedy Resource.
$66.00 (inc GST) for 20 students or less.
Extra students: $2.50 (inc GST)
Before proceeding to the next step, please ensure the purchase of this recording and teachers’ resources for Homemade Comedy has been approved by your school. Once this form is submitted your school will be invoiced for the total fee. Cancellations and late payments will incur fees (see terms and conditions in the booking form below).